Monograph 23 in the Tobacco Control Monograph series, “Treating Smoking in Cancer Patients: An Essential Component of Cancer Care”
is now available from the National Cancer Institute (NCI). This monograph presents evidence on:
• Smoking and the biology of cancer.
• The effectiveness of smoking cessation treatment in the general population of individuals who smoke and in cancer populations specifically.
• How smoking cessation treatments can be modified to address the special challenges and needs of individuals with cancer.
• How smoking cessation treatment can be implemented in health care contexts generally and in cancer care contexts specifically.
• The opportunities for and challenges to enhancing smoking cessation success in medically underserved and vulnerable populations with cancer who smoke.